Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Saying Goodbye To Daddy

“I don’t want to say goodbye to my Daddy. I love him,” Natalie informed me on the day that Tom was leaving.

“I know. But he has to go,” I explained.

Natalie puffed out her lip. “I hate this.”

She’s a total daddy’s girl. She had his heart from the second she was born. When she was an infant, she refused to sleep unless she was being held. She slept many hours on her daddy’s chest and as she got bigger as learned to crawl, it was HIM that she’d eagerly crawl to.

Natalie clung to him the entire morning before he had to go.








“I love your face, Daddy.”


Before he left, he was telling her that he loved her very much.



“I don’t want you to go.”


It’s tough for her. It’s tough for everyone.

That night as I tucked her in bed, I recited a poem that I got from an old movie. Remember The Little Princess with Shirley Temple? When her Daddy has to go away, he told her to repeat this:


My daddy has to go away
But he’ll return most any day
Any moment I may see
My Daddy coming back to me



I hear her muttering it sometimes.


She can see him online at least, which is something.


It helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment