Wednesday, September 14, 2011

On Pumpkin Spice Frappuccinos

I was tired.

Maybe even too tired to enjoy shopping at Target.

I know.

Le gasp.

It’s just, some days drag on more than others. And this day was definitely dragging on.

I yawned as I touched the belts in front of me. I wanted to find a nice belt because I had read that belts accentuate your pants. Or something. I’m not really into fashion. I thumb through my Redbook that comes in the mail each month and try to follow some of the fashion advice but this doesn’t always go over so well. Sometimes the magazines want me to believe that wearing ultra furry boots is the THING. No thanks. I’m not going to go out wearing something that looks like my cat has been skinned.

I found a belt I thought I liked—and then I saw the price. $26. For a belt. Then I saw it was made of real leather but still. I plucked that belt back and found one for $6.99 that looked and felt pretty much the same as the overpriced one.

I did perk up a bit when I found school supplies at 75% off. I got a few notebooks—one with a picture of kittens on the front because awwwww….

It was nice to be able to shop in peace. Both kids were in school so I didn’t even have to look at the toy aisles. I could look at the bra section without someone going, “This one is big enough to put my HEAD in the cup!”

I headed for the checkout and after I paid I dug through my purse to find my keys.

“Here’s a free sample!” I heard a perky voice say in front of me.

I glanced up and saw a young girl clad in a green Starbucks apron with a splash of freckles across her checks. She was holding out a small plastic cup with a perfect ring of whipped cream on top.

“Uh?” I answered.

I think I baffled her. She’s probably used to people gushing with excitement over free samples.

“Free sample!” she repeated. Slowly this time so I’d be sure to comprehend what she was saying.

“Thank you,” I began. “But I don’t like coffee.”

I expected the entire store to gasp in surprise.

Instead the barista gave me a big smile. “You’re in luck. This is a pumpkin spice FRAPPUCCINO so there IS no COFFEE!”

(Clearly she had been sampling the coffee drinks though.)

I hesitantly reached for the cup. What if she were lying?

“There is NO COFFEE,” the barista vowed again.

I brought the straw to my lips and took a tiny sip. I expected to wince in disgust.

But…

…instead my mouth started to sing.

The drink was fabulous. It was like I was swallowing pumpkin pie.

“I love this,” I gushed.

The barista smiled, happy that she had the proper reaction out of me. “See? Delish!”

I stared at the cup. “So in the future, I just ask for the pumpkin spice frappuccino?”

She nodded. “Yup. Just stress no coffee because some workers might accidentally give you the latte. Which tastes like coffee.”

I finished my sample quickly. I was very close to ordering a big one to go.

But I’m trying to watch what I eat. And drink, in this case. (TRYING.)

Then again, how fatty can it be?

It’s pumpkin, right?

(But seriously, if you don’t like coffee but love pumpkin pie, go to Starbucks and ask for a pumpkin spice frappuccino.)


(I was not compensated by Starbucks for this post but if they want to pay me to try frappuccino drinks, I’d do it…)

No comments:

Post a Comment