Wednesday, January 6, 2010

In The Kitchen

Look, I admit I’m not the greatest in the kitchen.

But I do try.



Take trying to make this gingerbread house, for example. I was all set up to put it together. I had visions of it being this spectacular masterpiece.

But then this happened.



I followed the directions, I swear it! It said to lean the pieces on the top together to form a roof. I did this and the whole thing fell down with a thump.

I tried again.

Same thing.

So I just told Tommy that a hurricane came through and knocked down our gingerbread house. Thankfully he accepted this. (Okay, he accepted this after I assured him that no one was living inside the house when the hurricane hit.)

I made up for the broken house with these:





Our Christmas cookies. Sugar cookies with buttercream frosting. In a variety of colors.

Then New Years came around and I figured one of my goals for 2010 should be to cook more. Because fine, I admit it, I make a lot of spaghetti. And Sloppy Joes. There is only so much Hamburger Helper that a person can eat, you know? So I found a few recipes that I wanted to try. The thing is, I’m confused on what some of the ingredients are.

For example, I came across this recipe:

Chorizo Chili.

What the hell is chorizo? The first thing that pops into my mind is a bunch of Chinese men standing in a line. But that doesn’t make any sense, does it?

Then I found something called Citrus Mangoretto Chicken.

WHAT THE HELL IS MANGORETTO? Why don’t recipes explain this with an asterisk or something? Like this: Citrus Mangoretto* Chicken.

*For the people like Amber, mangoretto is……

I still don’t know what mangoretto is. I tried to look it up and nothing explained it. Is it because everyone knows what mangoretto is except for me?

Wait. A light just popped on in my head.

It has something to do with mangos, yes?

Then why don’t they just call it Citrus MANGO Chicken?

This is why I hate cooking.

This is why I stick to making easy things.

Cooking gives me one big giant headache.

However, I'll keep trying to branch out. Like on Friday, I'm making this beef stew recipe that has over 5 ingredients. I can do it. Wish me luck.

But for tonight, I'm sticking with something I know how to make well.

Tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment